When I worked downtown, I would always make sure I had the afternoon off to attend the RCR Annual Chili Cook Off. The shear creativity and flavour that go into some of the creations that you can sample were simply mind-boggling. You go and purchase your bowls, pick the ones that you would like to sample and enjoy! You could even vote for your favourite.
This year I get to do things a little differently… Sadly, I don’t work downtown any longer. I do have the best boss around at my new day job, and she gave me the go ahead to take the afternoon off to be a special blogger guest at this year’s cook off! <Insert Happy Dance Here>
This year the event will take place in Churchill square underneath the big tops. The event will take place from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm on Friday, November 1st. This year there are 19 contestants:
- Chateau Lacombe Hotel
- Delta Edmonton Centre Suite Hotel
- Edmonton Meals on Wheels
- Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
- Fantasyland Hotel
- HIlton Garden Inn West Edmonton
- Julio’s Barrio
- LUX Steakhouse
- Manasc Isaac Architects
- Murrieta’s Bar and Grill
- Nova Hotels
- Renaissance Edmonton Airport Hotel
- The Sherlock Holmes Hospitality Group
- Smokehouse BBQ
- Von’s Steakhouse and Oyster Bar
- The Westin Edmonton
- Wildflower Grill
- Zinc Restaurant
Now if some of those names don’t get you excited to try this culinary experience, you may not be a foodie!
There are four different categories that we will be basing our tasting opinions on.
- Best Locally Grown Chili – This award is given to the highest scoring chili cooked with locally grown ingredients. Fifty percent of the ingredients MUST be produced in Alberta.
- Best Vegan/Vegetarian Chili – This award is presented to the highest scoring chili cooked with only vegan or vegetarian ingredients.
- Best Overall Chili – The highest scoring chili takes home this trophy.
- Best Booth Decor – This award is given to the competitor who has the most creative decor, unique names and best crowd engagement. Judges will select their top three and the booth with the most points will win.
Social media of course is an important aspect of any blogger’s assignment. I would love to hear your opinions if you can join us for the competition. The Twitter hashtag for the event is #rcr13. My Twitter handle is @yegfoodie – let me know what you think about your samples!
River City Round Up (@RiverCityRndUp) is a 10-day celebration of Edmonton’s agriculture and western heritage that takes place with events across the city from November 1 – 10. Whether you’re from the city or the country – or you’re just a country kid at heart…this is an opportunity to get your cowboy on through music, food, edutainment and good ol’ fashioned country fun with events across the city.
Two of Northland’s signature events will also be taking place during RCR including the 40th anniversary of Farmfair International from November 3-10 and the adrenaline pumping Canadian Finals Rodeo from November 6 – 10.
Come on down to Sir Winston Churchill Square on Saturday, November 2 for the official Kick-Off Celebration of the week with a day of free family fun beginning at 9 a.m. with a pancake breakfast and family activities from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
I look forward to seeing y’all there!